Friday, June 8, 2012

No Internet

The internet cut out again so I can only use the slow computers at a computer place down the street! Which means no uploading pictures, of course when I have tons!
On Monday I had food poisoning again so I did absolutely nothing but lay in bed all day.
Tuesday I was all better and went on 2 prenatal visits with Odilia. I felt bad that I couldn´t go with her for the busy day on Monday and visiting the twins, but I didn´t really have a choice. Afterwards, Odilia, Santos, Meme, and I went Mushroom hunting down by a river near their house where they own a lot of land. It was a very long walk|hike and I had a lot of fun! Every since I got here people have been telling me about the mushrooms that come with the rainy season, telling me they would be here in early June. After looking for more than an hour, we only found about 15 mushrooms of the kind you can eat. We found lots of other ones but they are either poisonous or gross tasting. To cook the mushrooms, you put them on the stove with a little salt on top until they are grilled. I normally don´t like mushrooms, but this was delicious! And no, I didn´t hallucinate or throw up, the people here definitely know their mushroom classes.
Wednesday was a glorious day - Odilia, Santos, and I went to Antigua, a famous touristy city around 45 minutes from their house. It is colonial, with bright colored buildings everywhere, cathedrals and ruins, and stone roads throughout the whole town. I loved it! We toured 3 or 4 colonial buildings and ruins of cathedrals before eating lunch at a Mexican Restaurant named Frida´s that my mom had told me about - she had eaten there when she visited Antigua last year. It was very similar to the old Frida´s on State Street! I treated Odilia and Santos to lunch and margaritas as a thank-you for being so great and taking me to see Antigua.
Yesterday we went to the market in Tecpan (usual Thursday occurence) and Odilia and I bought little outfits for the twins as a gift. After Tecpan we went to their house and dressed them in their new badger red sweaters and matching hats after they got baths in the temascal with Odilia. Took lots of pictures and they are sooo adorable! Wish I could upload pictures...
Today we have a couple prenatal visits and I´m not sure what else is on the agenda. Tomorrow we are doing the same ceremony we did for the other Mother and her family after the birth of the baby boy at the twin´s house - should be a fun celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment