Monday, April 4, 2011

Universitario

Although this past week wasn't as eventful as weeks past, it was still really fun! I'm starting to get into a routine with school (although it still doesn't involve much studying...) and am definitely noticing a change in my Spanish skills. I keep a little notebook with all of my new words and it already has a ton! 

On Tuesday it was Miguel's birthday, one of the guys that lives at Kusi Wasi. Margarita made a big dinner with stuffed potatoes, rice, and of course chocolate birthday cake. After dinner we went to a reggae concert in Barranco which was very fun! It reminded me of a Natty Nation concert in Madison, although not completely the same :) 

Kusi Wasi family dinner for Miguel's Birthday

mmmm gracias Margarita!

Feliz CumpleaƱos a Miguel


Saturday night was a blast - after spending a day at the beach, a bunch of us went to a big futbol (soccer) game. It was Universitario vs. Sport Boys, both teams from Peru, but we were rooting for Universitario because that is our friend's favorite team. 

Getting excited for the game! 

One part of the Universitario section at the game

Lenka (Slovakia), me, Kalli

I of course had to buy a soccer jersey to add to my collection from around the world! This one only cost me 15 soles (around 5 bucks)
(Sylvain, me, David)

Huge Universitario flag 

Yes, a flare - in the middle of the crowd.

My first professional futbol game!

Nobody scored during the first half, but when the Sport Boys (opposing team) scored during the second half, it was INSANE! A fight broke out in a section next to ours between Sport Boys and Universitario fans and soon all of the Sport Boys fans ran over from their section and started climbing the gate to get into ours. A ton of police men wearing helmets and carrying protective shields stormed down into the stands and started hitting the people fighting with their batons! I honestly couldn't believe what was happening - I had never seen a riot before. Usually in the US they would just yell at you to get back in your seats... but not here! Don't worry, I wasn't involved at all in the whole fighting mess (which happened after every score)... and Universitario ended up winning! 

After the game a bunch of us went to a bar in Barranco. It was so fun - there must have been 20 of us there from Kusi Wasi. Usually we're in a group of 5-10, but this time everybody came out! I was asked to take off my Universitario jersey before entering the bar just "so no problems would be caused." Jeez these people take their futbol seriously!  

Sconnie pic - me, Nick, Mateo

No comments:

Post a Comment