Wednesday, April 6, 2011

C-section!

Last night I had the wonderful opportunity to see a schedule C-section at Clinica Montesur, a clinic for assisted reproductive technology. It was so crazy to put on scrubs and view a real surgery from the foot of the table. I even had the chance to snap some pictures! I won't post the uterus and placenta pictures because some of you may have a weak stomach, but e-mail me if you want to see them. I couldn't believe all of the cutting and pulling and the arrival of the baby girl! 

Gringa ready for the OR!

My view (the least nasty picture I have of the surgery)

After the operation

The man on the left is Dr. Gutierrez, the former boss of the Department of Gynecological Oncology at the National Institute of Neoplastic Diseases. The one on the right is Dr. F. Vizcarro, President of the Latin American Society of Assisted Reproduction. Basically these guys were a big deal!!

After seeing the surgeons suture up multiple layers, I went to visit the new baby girl in the maternity ward. I don't know her name but I can only hope the parents somehow named her Emilia :)

The baby I witnessed come into the world!

:)

Seeing the C-section made me extra extra excited for (hopefully) Nursing School in the fall. My friend Juan is trying to organize for me to see a vaginal birth next - let's hope it works out! 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! So glad you got to experience it and that we got to chat yesterday! I can't decide if I want to see the nasty pics! haha.

    ReplyDelete