Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wonderful Weekend

I had a really great weekend, besides one thing. On Friday an ATM ate my debit card! As in, wouldn't give it back. But no worries, I called and canceled it and they're sending me a new one. Apart from that bump in the road, my weekend was fabulous!

On Friday we had a party at Kusi Wasi with all of the newcomers - so fun! We taught the non-Americans games from Wisconsin and had a really great time. 
Sandra (Peru), Laurie (Belgium), Sylvain (Belgium), Kris (UW), David (Mexico), me!


Saturday we woke up and went to Playa Silencio, a beach about an hour and a half south of Lima. Playa Silencio means "Silent Beach," but it wasn't very silent at all! The beach was crowded with tons of vendors walking around with various ice-cream treats and dresses and jewelry. However, it was still very fun. We met up with 2 girls from our program there who are living with host families - nice to see some familiar faces. 
huge waves at Playa Silencio

Pretty beach - just crowded!

Few things I find more beautiful than a sunset on the beach.


On Saturday night Jitka (Czech Republic) took a few of us to a club called Dream's House (pretty sure that's a mistake translation haha) for salsa dancing! We met some of her friends from Catolica (my university) and had lots of fun. Although everyone was staring at me and the other Sconnies for dancing American-style and not shaking our hips like Shakira, I didn't care at all. EVERYBODY stares at me all the time because of the blonde hair! And it's only getting blonder... but oh well! 

Sunday was my favorite of all days. We were going to carnaval, a sort of Mardi Gras type celebration, in Barranco, a nearby district. I didn't know what to expect, but I came downstairs ready to go in a sundress and with my purse and camera and such. When I was told to dress less fancy and not bring anything, I thought it was because Barranco was a dangerous neighborhood and I should look not as American/not bring anything so it doesn't get stolen. I was SO wrong!! The reason I had to wear crappy clothes and not bring any valuables was because at carnaval, everyone paints their whole bodies and throws pant and water and powder and glitter everywhere over everybody. We got there and instantly had a GREAT time. We got paint alll over all of our clothes and bodies and belongings and there was a big parade and a fake "battle" between 2 teams - the cyclops and the pirates. Imagine Mifflin - but with 5,000 Peruvians covered in paint, a parade by the ocean, loud music, drums, pisco jello shots, dancing, sunshine, the works. It was the most fun thing I've done since we got here!! It's Tuesday afternoon and I STILL have remnants of paint on my arms and legs. Here are some pictures from Kalli's camera:

All of us post-painting, before the festivities really started!

The parade 

I love this.

Pirata!

More of the parade

The family :)

Kalli, Kris, and I 


Yesterday (Monday) we woke up early and went to a different beach - Playa Leon Durmido (Sleeping Lion Beach). It's called that because there's a huge rock formation in the shape of a sleeping lion. This was byfar my favorite beach - big rocks, gold specks in the water that made it shine like crazy in the sun, a couple of caves, and weird waves that went sideways and in all directions. Oh, and the best part - there were probably only 20 people in total on the beach - and only ONE vendor! So relaxing and fun and beautiful. I had to wear my hat all day because my nose and forehead got burned at carnaval. I also had tan lines from where paint was the day before - very comical. One girl, Laurie, had a hand print of paint on her back that is now a hilarious tan line! The beach was further away - 2.5 hours by bus - but still well worth it. 
Can you see the "sleeping lion"?

Me and Kalli in the cave 


Last night we went to a concert at a charming bar called La Noche. It was a singer who starred in the movie called "La Teta Asustada"(The Milk of Sorrow). It's a Peruvian movie that I believe won an Oscar for best foreign film - or was at least nominated. She had a fabulous voice and we had a great time at her concert! 
Magaly Solier - the singer

Kris (UW), Kalli (Oklahoma), Nick, me, Drew - Nick and Drew are from my high school!

The cab ride home from the concert was super fun - our cab driver cranked American tunes for us all the way home. We're such gringos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment