Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lima Centro

"Centro Lima" or the "center of Lima" is a very old part of the city with big colorful buildings and fabulous architecture. Yesterday a few of us from the dorm took a cab to Iglesia de San Francisco (Church of Saint Francisco) and took a tour. Our tour guide spoke Spanish and although she spoke very slowly I barely understood anything. If that's any preview for how my classes are going to go this semester (all in Spanish)... UH OH! Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it all very soon. The church was beautiful regardless - with catacombs! Underground we saw bones from 75,000 decomposed bodies, I think dating back to the 16th or 17th century. Very eerie but cool! We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the church, but this is what the outside looked like:


cute Peruvian kids playing with all of the birds in front of the church



Some other cool historic building! Keeley (UW), me, Laurie (Belgium), Ina (Norway)


More buildings I loved in el centro:






No comments:

Post a Comment