Friday, March 4, 2011

Bicicletas!

What a fun day we had yesterday! In the morning 8 of us went to a bike store and rented bikes - 10 soles per bike for one day. (About 3 or 4 dollars). Great deal! Biking around Lima was nerve-wracking to say the least, but also very fun. Adrian led the way and we followed - it's unbelievable how many times I got whistled at! I'm pretty sure any Peruvian can spot me a mile away with my blonde hair and blue eyes. I must have "FOREIGNER" tattooed on my forehead to them. Oh well! 
All of our bikes lined up at the bike store!




There was a very beautiful sunset last night so a few of us went to the park across the street (the one with the ruins) to take some pictures! We also took some pictures from the rooftop of Kusi Wasi - you can see the mountains and our university from up there! We're actually planning on having a small fiesta up there tonight :)



park during sunset

That reddish brick building on the far right is Kusi Wasi

Keeley (UW), David (Mexico), me, Laurie (Belgium) - on the ruins!

rooftop view - love these colors!

Adrian (Peru), David, me, Keeley, Laurie







In the evening 11 of us biked to Miraflores for a "bike gala" - it was kind of a parade of a bunch of bikers (maybe 200? but actually no idea). We all dressed up in nice clothes - the idea of the event was to promote bicycling in Lima and show people you can still be "fancy" while riding a bike. With the bike ride to Miraflores, the actual event, and the bike ride home, we biked 40 kilometers or more! (Bonnie and Steve, you would be so proud!!) I am soo sore today but it was so fun. My smaller camera isn't the greatest at night pictures... so this is the best I could do for the bike gala!



look at all of these people!!

During the "gala"



After the gala we biked down to the ocean and rode on the bike bath that wraps around the ocean - so relaxing to hear the waves and smell the salt of the sea while biking! After hanging out by the ocean for a while we went to a pizzeria and had very delicious Peruvian pizza before returning back to the house around 1 am. I was sooo tired from all that biking! Very sore today!! But content of course :)

1 comment: