Monday, June 13, 2011

Noche de chicas

Saturday night we had a "Girl's Night" which was really fun! A bunch of us got dressed up and went out to my favorite Arabic restaurant for dinner. Afterwards we went to see the Spanish version of Westside Story, called "Amor sin Barreras" - it was in a very nice old theatre with gold decorations everywhere and 4 different balcony levels. We were on the top level because we only paid 30 soles so we had to lean over the balcony to see, but it was great! I didn't understand everything but the singing and dancing was fun to see. After the play the gals split up but I went to a concert with Mateo and Rebecca. It was of the band we had met while at Marcahuasi a few months earlier... last time we saw them they were singing to us around a campfire with no more than 10 people around. This was a little different! The concert was at a huge venue with lots of light and smoke effects and a big sound system. The place was packed - we didn't really realize how popular they were! It was fun to see them again and after the show I asked one of the band members if he remembered us from Marcahuasi (after pushing through a crowd of eager fans) and he said yes - but who knows for sure...

I'm really excited because on Wednesday I'm going to Iquitos - the rain forest! I'm leaving exactly 2 years after I left for the Amazon in Ecuador. This will be a little different... I think it might be more touristy and obviously for less time, but I know I'll still love it. I had Drew bring me my field notebook from Ecuador so I've been brushing up on my Amazonian plants and animals. I will be there until the following Monday so I'll write when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment