Sunday, June 26, 2011

Going away party - already?

This weekend we had our going away party for Kusi Wasi - I couldn't believe it! We still have finals left but after those a lot of people are leaving to travel or go home, so this was the last weekend we could have it. We had a theme - everyone rented traditional Peruvian clothing from a costume store and dressed up. It was so fun! Some people from the rainforest, some from the Incan period, some from historic cities around Peru... I was from Cajamarca, a city in the north. 

Mateo and Rebecca - Incans

Kalli and Kris - Sailors

Paul and I - Cajamarca

Keeley (from Cusco) and me

Margarita made everyone tequeños, my favorite!

...and lomo saltado, my favorite Peruvian meal

people from the rainforest

Margarita with all of the guys

all of the ladies

All of Kusi Wasi dressed up :)

I think Kris and I got the "silly picture" memo and nobody else did

The going away party was so fun and made me realize how close I've become with everyone over the semester. I'm really going to miss everyone! Luckily there are a few Sconnies I live with that I'll be seeing regularly when we get back to Madison. But I sure will miss everyone else from all corners of the world... and especially Margarita. She has been the best Peruvian mama I could have asked for! I told her I would come back to Peru someday to visit her and by then she'll hopefully have her dream fulfilled and own her own restaurant.

I officially arrived 4 months ago from today. What a journey it has been! I've learned things about this culture, other people, and myself more than I had imagined. I actually have to study these next few days then I have papers/exams the 4th, 5th, and 6th of July. After that I'm heading to Máncora, a beach town in the north close to the border of Ecuador, to hang out and relax for 10 days before coming home. Then I'm home on July 20th! I know these next 3.5 weeks are going to go by fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment